Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Spring Rolls

I am Back!!! My life has changed so much in the last year. We've moved from our bustling Downtown dwelling to a suburban neighbourhood. We are still adjusting but it's been okay. I have been so spoiled living in downtown that the idea of having to drive almost anywhere here is annoying but I do love the neighbourhood. And now that we are settled in, I can start to get back to cooking and baking. Couple weeks back, we went to a Thai restaurant out in the burbs and the food was pretty good. We had spring rolls and when I was out grocery shopping, I bought a spring roll wrapper on impulse.


I've made man-du (Korean dumpling) before at home so I figure making spring rolls is along the same idea. I like meat in my spring roll so I seasoned some ground pork with salt and pepper, cut up some cabbage and bamboo shoots. I started to cook the meat and I made some gravy with corn starch and water and mixed that in . Now depending on the size of the spring roll wrapper, you can adjust the size. The original size was too big so I cut into quarters to they were more bite sized rolls.



Scoop some meat up, put it in the middle of the wrapper and roll up one side and tuck the sides in and keep rolling until it looks like a spring roll. This make take some time and practice before you perfect it but hey who cares if it isn't perfect. Pour vegetable oil into the pot and get it up to 350 degrees. Don't crowd the pot with too many rolls as it can bring down the temp of the oil. Fry it until they are golden brown and take them out. Dip them into a sweet chilli sauce or plum sauce and enjoy! These would make great party food as an appetizer or a potluck dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment