Monday, March 11, 2013



Lodge vs. Le Creuset Skillet

I had my eyes set on Le Creuset skillet for awhile now. I've got their Braiser and I like using it to cook stews and curries. I have to say they are pretty expensive; especially here in Canada where just about anything costs more than U.S.

One day, I decided that I needed a skillet. We didn't have our grill with us and I wanted to cook up some steak and burgers.
Instead of buying a Le Creuset, I decided on a Lodge skillet. It came in a 12" size and it cost about $130.00 less than Le Creuset. I really like the look of Le Creuset and it is enamel coasted so there is no seasoning required but I didn't want to spend so much on a skillet at this time.

Lodge is a heavy duty skillet. I've read that you can even use it in camp fire. It's American made which is nice and a 12" skillet cost me under $20.00 on Amazon. It doesn't look sleek or as pretty as Le Creuset since it is not coated with colour.

With the Lodge, you have to season it periodically. Some of them come pre-seasoned but from my personal experience, it is better to season before you start using it.  You don't' have to do it every time you use it but it does need to be done. Seasoning isn't hard but it is time consuming. If you don't want to bother with seasoning, I would highly recommend a Le Creuset.

Overall, I am pretty satisfied with Lodge. For its price, it is worth getting one if you do need one.
I may cave in buy a Le Creuset at a later day if I need another skillet but for now, Lodge is serving its purpose quite nicely.

No comments:

Post a Comment