Monday, November 18, 2013

Kitchen Aid Attachment

Lately, I have been obsessed with the idea of making homemade pasta.

One of my neighbours with a Marcato Atlas pasta maker generously offered to lend it to me so I could try out making pasta with it.  I looked up recipes for a handmade pasta and came across David Lobovitz's site.

I liked making the pasta so much that I decided to purchase one. I wasn't sure whether I wanted a hand crank style or Kitchenaid attachment since I have a Kitchenaid mixer at home. I did my homework and here's my two cents on the two different types of pasta maker.

            Hand crank.                                          

  • It's more affordable with the prices starting around $20.00(Amazon.com) all the way to $200.00 for pasta maker with a motor. 
  • It is portable since you don't need a mixer to make it work. 
  • It is hand cranked so you need to turn the crank while feeding the machine with the dough and trying to catch the noodle as it comes out on the other side. 
  • There are other attachment available for purchase depending on the machine (i.e. ravioli maker). 
            Kitchenaid Attachment
  • It is more pricey than hand cranked pasta maker. Attatchment with roller, spaghetti and fettucini ranges in price from $150.00-$200.00 depending on where you purchase. 
  • The motor in the mixer does all the work for you, thus leaving your hands free to feed the dough and catch the noodle as it goes through the attachment.
  • Easier to store the attachments since they take less room than a bulky pasta maker. 
  • Additional attachment are available for purchase.
After reading the reviews and having had an opportunity to try out the Atlas pasta maker, we decided to purchase Kitchenaid pasta attachment. We got a 20 %off coupon at Bed,bath and beyond and used that towards the purchase. It actually ended up being cheaper than buying off Amazon. 

I will post more pictures of the 3 attachments I have in the next few days. 

I really look forward to making fresh pasta with the attachment and can't believe how easy it is. I still have my boxes of store bought pasta at home for those times when I need to quickly make a meal but I try to make fresh pasta as much as I can. Fresh pasta is chewier and just tastes better. Period. 

Roller Attachment
Spaghetti Attachment

Drying process






















No comments:

Post a Comment