Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Mandu Kal Gooksu (Korean Dumpling noodle soup)

I don't cook Korean food a lot. Here's a little secret; my husband is a picky eater. I always tease him that he's got a palate of a five year old. He doesn't like onions, cabbage, peppers, mushrooms and etc... sort of the food that I didn't like when I was a kid either. But now I am an adult and I love all of those things mentioned above. Lot of Korean food contains the vegetables he doesn't like so I usually just end up catering to his preference.

In order for me to satisfy my husband and my craving for Korean food, I make my own dumpling at home. Most of the store bought ones have too much MSG and they also have onions or green onions which my husband dislikes. I have been trying to avoid MSG by making lot of the food at home. This can be a pain but I feel good that I know what I am feeding my child.
Anyway, back to the dumplings. I usually make a big batch of dumplings and with 3 lbs. of ground pork, by the time I am done, I have about 200 pork dumplings for future use.
Fortunately for my husband, he does appreciate me for making them at home. If he wasn't grateful he wouldn't get fed so I guess he's a smart guy.

One of our favourite dish to eat is Mandu Kal Gooksu, which is dumpling soup with noodles. Since I bought my Kitchenaid Pasta attachment, we have been making it lot more often. The noodles used in the soup are little thicker so I have been using the linguini attachment to make the noodles. You can make the noodles by hand, which I have done before purchasing the pasta maker but rolling it to the thickness you want can get tiresome.

I make a base stock with anchovies and dried seaweed. Now, these anchovies aren't the usual anchovies you buy in the store. They are dried up fish that are simmered to make stock.
I use that for the soup base and add my dumplings and the noodle. The soup itself is very simple to make as long as you have the necessary ingredients which in this case are, the dumplings and the noodles.
3. Mandu skin

2. Making the mandu skin

1. Rolling the dough

6. Final product

5. Filling for mandu

4.Putting the filling inside the skin


Noodle for the soup.







No comments:

Post a Comment