Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Homemade Teriyaki Sauce



I was browsing through Pinterest when I came across this awesome Teriyaki recipe. This is a pretty simple recipe using basic ingredients you can find around the house. There are few things on the recipe that you do need to seek out such as Mirin which can be easily found at an Asian market and star anise. I didn't bother with star anise when I was making the sauce at home because I didn't have it available at home.
Even without the star anise, it tasted fantastic and it is great because there is no MSG and you know what goes in the sauce. Until now I've bought different brands of teriyaki sauce from groceries and some were too sweet and some were too salty. I never found the perfect sauce and it always makes you wonder how much MSG they put in the sauce. With this recipe, you can customize it and add or subtract ingredients as you go and you get the satisfaction knowing that there is no MSG in it.

TERIYAKI SAUCE from Ang Sarap.
I've made tiny modification from the original recipe. And I also like to double the recipe to make extra for the rice.

1 cup water
3 Tbsp Soy sauce
2 Tbsp Sweet vinegar or Mirin
1 Pc Star Anise
1 Tbsp Sesame oil
2 Tbsp Red sugar/Raw sugar (I just used brown sugar because I didn't have any raw sugar)
1/2 Tsp. Ground black pepper
2 Thin slices of ginger
2 Cloves garlic, minced
1/2 Small onion, don't chop.
1 Tbsp corn starch, dissolved in 1/4cup of cold water.

Feel free to add or take out things as you go along depending on your preference.

Method (Teriyaki Sauce)

1. In a sauce pan mix all ingredients together except for the cornstarch and bring to a boil.
2. Once boiling, add cornstarch mixture, simmer until the consistency is thick.
3. Remove star anise, ginger and onion from the sauce, then set aside.



No comments:

Post a Comment