Monday, November 14, 2011

Gluten free Chocolate coconut pie



When I saw this awesome recipe on how to make coconut crust chocolate pie, I was thrilled. I love coconut and combined with chocolate, this was heaven on a pie plate.

And I had a perfect excuse to make this pie when my mother-in-law came over for dinner. She has celiac and isn't supposed to eat gluten. She ignored this up until few months ago because she loved bread and all the things that contains gluten and who doesn't? Long story short, I wanted to make this pie for her since the pie crust is made of coconut, not flour therefore making it a gluten free dessert.

This pie is super easy to make. This recipe is from Sweet Twist of Blogging

Recipe:

CRUST
6 cups of shredded unsweetened coconut
1/4 cup + 1 tbsp. of softened unsalted butter
1/4 cup granulated sugar

Preheat the oven to 350F. In a food processor, process butter and one-third of coconut and sugar until mixture forms a ball or starts to stick together, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to a medium bowl. Combine this mixture with the remaining two-thirds coconut using your hands to bring together the coconut.




FILLING
1 cup heavy cream
8 ounces of bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped (60% cacao) I used medium sweet chocolates because I didn't have any bittersweets on hand and it tasted good. Next time I am going to try making it with bittersweet chocolates though.

Press coconut mixture into bottom and up sides of pan to form crust, leaving top edges loose and fluffy. Cover the crust lightly with tin foil over the edges, and cut a hole in the center. Keeping the edges covered to prevent burning. Bake until center begins to brown, 10 to 15 minutes; remove foil and bake until edges are browned, 4 to 5 minutes more. Transfer crust to a wire rack to cool completely.

Make the filling: In a small sauce pan bring cream just to a boil. While cream is heating up, place chopped chocolate into a medium heatproof bowl. Pour the cream over the chocolate and let sit for 10 minutes to allow chocolate to melt. Stir to combine and melt remaining chocolate. The mixture should be smooth and completely melted. Pour into coconut crust. Refrigerate until filling is set, 1 hour or up to 1 day.


I didn't have to use 6 cups of the coconut. I used about 3.5 cups of coconut and that was sufficient. And I used medium sweet chocolate instead of bittersweet chocolate because I didn't have any.

This pie is decadent and perfect for that time when you are craving chocolate. And combined with coconut, it totally tastes like Bounty chocolate bar.

The dinner went really well. I cooked chicken teriyaki with rice thinking that it was gluten free. WRONG! Next day, we get a call from mother-in-law asking what kind of soy sauce I used to make the sauce for the teriyaki. I take a look at the ingredients on the soy sauce container and second ingredient listed is Wheat. Alas, who knew? I certainly didn't. My carefully well planned gluten free meal didn't quite turn out as I wanted it to.


At least, the dessert turned out fabulous.

I will write another post with this great Teriyaki sauce recipe I found. So easy to make and way better than the ones you buy in store.

No comments:

Post a Comment