Thursday, November 17, 2011

Chocolate coconut banana muffin



I don't crave chocolate all the time but there are times when I crave something sweet. And today I craved chocolate and coconut.
I LOVE coconut. And chocolate and coconut combo is a big hit with me.
And I had planned on baking banana loaf anyway I thought it would be awesome to have all three together. If you are reading this and salivating, you need to try this recipe.

I looked for chocolate coconut banana muffin and this is the best one I found. There were other recipes but lot of them called for self rising flour and I didn't have any at home. But apparently after looking up what the difference between self rising and all purpose flour is, I found out that I can easily making self rising flour from a regular flour by mixing in baking soda and salt to the flour.
 But this has to be done precisely for it to work. If I am ever in need of a self rising flour I know what to do next time.

Getting back to the muffin, I used frozen bananas instead of fresh ones. I always have a one or two bananas that are too ripe whenever I buy bananas and instead of chucking them out, I save them by tossing them into the freezer. I also put in 2 tablespoons of sour cream because I had little bit left in the fridge that i didn't want to waste and thought they might make the muffins more moist. I am not sure if it made any difference but they sure tasted good to me.

DRY:
1 1/2 cups of all purpose flour
1/2 tsp of baking soda
1/4 tsp of salt

WET:

1 egg
1/2 cup sugar
6 tablespoons melted butter
2 Tbsp. Sour cream
3 ripe bananas
1/2 cup medium sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes


Beat the butter and the sugar first until it is thoroughly mixed. Add egg and mash in the bananas. Add the chocolate chips and coconut.
Add the dry ingredient into the wet and mix. Don't over mix at this point.



Divide it into the muffin cups and bake at 350F for 30 minutes. This produced 13 muffins using this recipe.

They are not too sweet and so delicious. You can easily substitute coconut for other dry fruits if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment